At the rear of Christchurch, in the area which once housed the baptistery, a stained glass memorial window can be found. The window depicts King David with his slingshot before his battle with Goliath. At the base is inscribed ‘To the glory of God and in grateful memory of the men connected with the parish of Holy Trinity, Cork, who gave their lives in the Great War.’
The window is a Great War memorial erected by members of Christchurch parish and dedicated by the Bishop of the day in 1919. There are 34 names inscribed on marble panels in the alcove. Eighteen of these men were members of the 1st Cork Boys Brigade and the remaining sixteen had attended services in Christchurch at some time before the war.
Through their research local historians Gerry White and Jean Prendergast have brought the story of these men to life. Along with details on their lives before and during the Great War, they have also included information on where these men were buried and commemorated.
The book is available from the reception desk in Triskel Arts Centre on Tobin Street at a cost of €10